Re: NNTP server

Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> My ISP blocks NNTP traffic. To get round this, I propose to use my
> Squeze VPS, which has direct access to the Internet, to collect news
> articles from a few selected groups, and access these over SSH (or
> something like that).
>
> Can anyone advise me on which package(s) to install, bothe on my
> desktop, and on the VPS?

Hi Tony,

I have been using news.individual.net for tha last few years and am very
happy with them.

>From their FAQ:

"My service provider blocks port 119! Is there an alternate port for
your news server?

Yes. If your provider blocks the standard NNTP port (119), or if he
degrades connections on this port, please change the port setting in
your newsreading software to port "8119" (the server's name stays
"News.Individual.NET"). If you need port 80 (the standard HTTP port) for
reading news, please use "Port80.Individual.NET" as server name and "80"
as the port number.

There is also the option to access the server through NNTPS / NNTP over
SSL. The server name is "News.Individual.NET" and the port number is
"563" (the standard NNTPS port)."

Bob