VLC missing sound

I'm using the kernel 3.1.0-1-amd64 and Debian sid

For a few weeks now I have had no sound from the VLC player

Videolan is no help, they keep blaming the debian multimedia sources
etc. Although VLC actually works well excepting that no sound is
forthcoming.

so..has anyone else had this problem?

I use ALSA this is what's installed:

ii  alsa-base       1.0.23+dfsg-4      ALSA driver configuration files

ii  alsa-utils 1.0.24.2-4     Utilities for configuring and using ALSA

ii alsamixergui      0.9.0rc2-1-9.1 graphical soundcard mixer for ALSA
soundcard driver

ii gstreamer0.10-alsa      0.10.35-1 GStreamer plugin for ALSA

See anything that might be missing for VLC?

The Iceweasel browser and the spotify client are working correctly with the
above ALSA installation.

--
PS