laptop wireless setup, wpa_supplicant.conf, driver ipw not supported? CLI only

Hi All-

I am trying to learn how to setup wireless on one of my old Dell C610
laptops with an Intel IPW2200 wireless card using command line only. I
have a fresh install of 7.0 Wheezy (3.0), all updated, and the ipw
firmware loaded. According to the Debian Reference Manual I need to
configure wpa_supplicant as a next step. When I try to invoke it I get a
message saying the ipw driver isn't supported, although the man page for
wpa_supplicant states that ipw _is_ supported...(for now I am running all
these as root):

root@eve:~# wpa_supplicant -Dipw -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -ieth0 -d
Initializing interface 'eth0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'ipw'
ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=root'
Priority group 0
   id=0 ssid='gojo1985'
Unsupported driver 'ipw'.
Failed to add interface eth0
Cancelling scan request
Cancelling authentication timeout

Here's wpa_supplicant:
root@eve:~# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
           ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=root
           network={
               ssid="gojo1985"
               scan_ssid=1
               key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
               psk="secret_password"
          }
Here's:
root@eve:~# lsmod | grep ipw
ipw2200               114371  0
libipw                 26111  1 ipw2200
cfg80211              112970  2 ipw2200,libipw
lib80211               12870  2 ipw2200,libipw

So what's going on here? Am I missing a step or misunderstanding
something? BTW, direct Ethernet connection works fine (uses eth1).

Thanks,
Keith