Re: More USB install-images please!

On 26/09/11 23:08, Jan Olav Agle wrote:
> I sometimes install Debian on machines belonging to family and friends.
> On my latest install I tried the boot.img.gz on an USB-stick.

boot.img.gz is *just* the boot loader.
To make it function you *must also* copy an .iso image to the USB-stick
- or else it gives your *that* message. :-)

> It failed
> halfway trough, complaining about a missing suitable ISO-image.

HowTo:-
    wget hd-media.img
    wget cd.iso
    dd if=hd-media.img of=/dev/stick
    mount /dev/stick /mnt
    cp cd.iso /mnt
    umount /mnt

> Not
> wasting time, I dd'ed the netinstall iso onto the stick and installed.

The netinstall contains a bootloader.....
# parted debian-6.0.0-i386-netinst.iso print
debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso: 198MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.8kB  198MB  198MB  primary               boot, hidden

> As far as I know, the debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso is the ONLY one
> that can be used on both USB and CD-rom. Why not give
> debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso the same functionality????

ISO-hybrid boot is tricky - and is not supported on all machines (and
even then sometimes required fiddling with the BIOS).
It also doesn't play well with multi-arch...
There are issues with jigdo (which you are strongly encouraged to use
when downloading CD/DVD images):-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2010/09/msg00017.html
Additionally the CD/DVD images are designed primarily for CD/DVD
installations, so I'm guessing that's the prime consideration when
choosing a boot scheme.

You might want to check that CD2 doesn't have ISO-hybrid boot... in the
dim past I've been able to boot from the second CD when the first CD
wouldn't.

Coverting a standard ISO image to an ISO-hybrid image is not hard either.

>  The
> netinstall-image install requires much time on slow lines.

Quick way
# cat debian-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/stick
# parted /dev/sde print
Model: TOSHIBA TransMemory (scsi)
Disk /dev/sde: 1999MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.8kB  198MB  198MB  primary               boot, hidden

> I HAVE tried dd'ing debian-6.0.2.1-i386-CD-1.iso to a stick. It will
> not boot. Didn't expect it to do either. Had to try.

Needs the boot.hd.img (first).

Cheers