Re: using isohybrid for usb bootable isos

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:44:35PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>Joey Hess wrote:
>> So ideally, debian-cd would add a small second partition to the iso file's
>> partition table, and tack on a FAT filesystem. This could probably be done
>> by running fdisk on the iso file after isohybrid.
>
>I've attached a patch with a script, which I am checking into d-i for now,
>that does that.
>
>This would add 6 to 7 mb to iso images it's used on, I don't know how Steve
>feels about that. :)

Hey Joey,

That itself is a minor pain, but not enough to make me complain about
a useful feature. The *more* difficult thing is trying to make
iso-hybrid work with jigdo: we make the .iso and .jigdo files directly
in the same invocation of genisoimage, so anything we do to
post-process the .iso files won't show up in the .jigdo
equivalents. :-(

I've been trying to find time for ages to either: (a) add iso-hybrid
support directly into genisoimage, or (b) port the jigdo code from
genisoimage to xorriso, which is the long-term plan. xorriso already
includes the needed iso-hybrid support, but it'll take quite a lot of
work to add jigdo code there.

"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich