Problem installing Etch using local mirror

Hi,

	I'm trying to install Debian Etch from floppy and local mirror. It
fails with message:

"The specified Debian archive mirror is either not available, or does
not have a valid Release file on it. Please try a different mirror."

Before I get bashed for this question, I'd like to explain that I want
to install Debian on a very old laptop (Celeron 300MHz, 64MB RAM), which
doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, doesn't boot from network, doesn't boot
from USB and I can't remove its HDD. That's why I decided to use Etch,
as it still had floppy install images.

	Before I tried installing it on a real hardware, I decided to test
everything on a virtual machine. First I tried a regular mirror over
http - failed (I understand that, etch is archived). Then I tried
archive.debian.org - failed. Then I created a local mirror on my bigger
Debian machine using apt-mirror. The installation failed again with the
same message. During several failed attempts, I created symbolic links
"stable" and "oldstable" to "etch". Then I spied a little using
wireshark. The installation requests the release file
"/debian/dists/oldstable/Release" - which is returned with HTTP OK. Then
it requests "/debian/dists/etch/Release", which also finishes with a
successful file transfer. Still the same error. No other files are
requested from the mirror.

	I assume it's not a network or file-naming problem. What else can be
wrong? Corrupted mirror? Invalid signatures?

	The beggining of the release file is as follows:

"Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Suite: oldstable
Version: 4.0r9