Re: autoinstalled packages

On 2011-08-12 17:25 +0200, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>  > "aptitude unmarkauto isc-dhcp-client" does the trick.
>
> 	I guess that # apt-get install isc-dhcp-client may do the same
> 	(provided that there's no newer version of the package in the
> 	repositories.)

With a new enough apt, probably.  But not in Squeeze, I think.  See
http://bugs.debian.org/612557.

> 	Also there's the APT::Get::AutomaticRemove option, which, if set
> 	to false, I expect to prevent APT from removing the
> 	automatically installed packages.

Well, apt-get and aptitude have different configuration keys and default
values for them (apt-get defaults to not autoremove unused packages).
That's a bit unfortunate, but since aptitude had always defaulted to
autoremove unused packages and apt versions before 0.7 could not even
mark packages as automatically installed, this is understandable.

> 	However, what I'm interested in right now, is how do I access
> 	the list of autoinstalled packages with plain APT or dpkg(1)?

With apt, use "apt-mark showauto".  With dpkg it's not possible since
dpkg does not know about autoinstalled packages.

Sven