Re: removing dummy package

On 2011-08-12 15:51 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> So I wanted to remove the dummy package but....
>
> --------------<quote>---------------------------------
> linbobo:~# aptitude remove dhcp3-client
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   dhcp3-client isc-dhcp-client{u}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 680 kB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
> Abort.
> --------------<quote>---------------------------------
>
> When I want to remove the dummy dhcp3 package, the real isc package also
> gets removed.

This is general problem with dummy transitional packages.  The package
they pull in gets marked as "automatically installed", and when you
remove the dummy package, its dependency gets autoremoved.  Nobody has a
good solution to this yet, AFAIK.

See also http://bugs.debian.org/328441 for a similar problem with
metapackages.

> This is probably one of those simply to answer questions and probably has a
> easy answer, but I am unable to find it. :-(

"aptitude unmarkauto isc-dhcp-client" does the trick.

Sven