Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On 12/07/11 12:22, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am puzzled by this discussion. Without going into any features
>>> of IPv6, the reason NAT works for IPv4 that I have been taught is
>>> the 192.168.xxx.xxx are illegal on the actual internet.
>>
>> Correction (pedantic semantics), not *illegal*, just not supposed
>> to be used in Class A environments (because it won't work). You
>> *will* find class C addresses used on internet exposed boxen - you
>> just won't be able to load the links (DNS doesn't cope with
>> duplicate IP entries).
>
> Oh, my. You can load the IP addresses *directly*, by IP address, and
> access them if you have a route to them.

*If you have a route*.... in the examples given there is no route, hence
NAT.

I simplified things (as noted in the original post) as a means of
explaining why NAT != security.
CIDR would take more time than I have available to explain.

> This is quite common inside VPN's,

You can NAT VPN can *you*? :-)

> and as an example is common to all of AOL's internal server address
> space (which uses the 10.0.0.0/24 address space,

See my comment about CIDR.
AFAIK AOL only started that in early 90s - so I'm not sure what you're
trying to say.

> or did a few years ago.) It's also common in internal networks where
> 192.168.1.0/24

Apropos of the examples given - access from the internet to
machines behind a NAT??

> might be dedicated to a demilitarized zone for external servers,
> 192.168.2.0/24 might be your internal hosts, 192.168.100.0/24 is
> dedicated for idiots who connect internal NAT gateways, etc.

Again - I used "Class" addressing for the purposes of the example - feel
free to use 8.8.8.8 for a private address. The point of your comment
is?? (seriously)

> The lack of routes to to such non-routable address ranges is a
> *convention*, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network), and
> published in numerous RFC's.

No dispute there - see my comment about the distinction between illegal
and unworkable.

> IPv6 has its own..... ideas about how to deal with thus, but it
> certainly has reserved, non-routable address spaces.

Not sure what post you're replying to - I certainly didn't say anything
about a lack of reserved address with IPV6.

If information is your desire - I was, clearly, responding to Randy's
question. Apart from the redundant wikipedia quote I can't see the
relevance of your post to anything I've said.

Cheers

--
What did moths bump into before the electric light bulb was invented?
Boy, the lightbulb really screwed the moth up didn't it? Are there moths