Re: Restarting network

On Sat 09 Jul 2011 at 12:20:36 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Vi, 08 iul 11, 19:25:59, Brian wrote:
> >
> > Booting is quicker with DHCP (especially if dhclient times out) than
> > with auto.
>
> Could you please expand on this? I don't understand what you mean.

As a matter of observation I notice the booting process pauses when
/e/n/i uses

   auto etho
   iface eth0 inet dhcp

It may only be for 2 or 3 seconds while dhclient does what it has to do
and outputs its actions to the screen, but it can be longer. Without a
network cable attached there is a 60 second delay before booting
continues.

Substitute 'allow-hotplug' for 'auto' and there is no pausing at all and
dhclient gets on with its job in the background.