Re: Debian with HP ProLiant DL120 G7

On 7/7/2011 10:17 AM, Aniruddha wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has experience with installing Debian on HP
> ProLiant DL120 G7. Does it work out-of-the-box? Or are there special
> drivers necessary to get these working? Officially only Red Hat and
> Suse are supported although HP does have an Debian page.
> http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/debian/index.html

The DL120 G7 has the Intel C200 chipset with 6 integrated SATA3 ports.
This is supported by the standard Debian kernels AFAIK with the latest
AHCI driver.  Connect the 4 drive backplane to 4 of these ports and you
should be fine.  If you have the "base" model, do not use the included
Smart Array B110i.  It is a fakeraid solution and on top of that
requires an extra license key to enable it.  Thus you're better off
using Linux software RAID.

If you want a fully supported real PCIe RAID card, buy an LSI and avoid
all the HP nonsense required to enable all the features that LSI (and
others) gives you out of the box.

--
Stan