Re: Wheezy apt-get upgrade blows away USB printer

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:47:13 +0000, I wrote:

> I have a Wheezy host with a USB CUPS printer (Xerox Phaser 6280DN).  I
> just did a weekly apt-get upgrade, and now the printer can't be found.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 14:50:26 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón replied:

> Does re-plugging the USB printer cable works?

In fact just turning the printer off and on helped.  I then also rebooted and
now the printer works from both the Wheezy host and the virtualbox XP client.

However, there is a new error message early on in booting:

Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...
udevd[425]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/mtp-probe'
'mtp-probe /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.3 1 3'
: No such file or directory

> Mmmm, you mean there is long delay between the system is powered on until
> you get GRUB's menu, right?

Yes, but that has now reverted to normal too.

> Do you have any external device attached to
> your computer such as USB hard disks or another goodies?

The only external devices are monitor, keyboard, and mouse none of which
(believe it or not) are USB.  I do have a USB extender cable connected, but
at the moment nothing is connected to it.

Thanks.