Re: Wheezy install - grub wont write to MBR with RAID and LVM

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 04:01:21 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)

>>> I don't fear dmarid but manufacturer's BIOSes that can make use non-
>>> standard ways of handling hard disk controller data. You know, they
>>> don't provide open specs for devels can develop stable tools, so I
>>> would prefer to stick to mdraid and AHCI or SATA mode that are
>>> well-known. I don't like to play "russian roulette" with my data.
>>
>> To Cameleon: You cold say that of "real" hardware raid too! I *much*
>> prefer mdraid but the fears about fakeraid and "real" hardware raid are
>> overblown.
>
> (...)
>
> Most of the real hardware raid controller manufacturers (i.e., adaptec,
> areca, 3ware...) develop their drivers in collaboration with kernel
> developers so, nope, not the same thing at all :-)

Do you have any basis upon which to cast doubt on the development of
FakeRAID drivers?

Anyway, this wasn't the issue that I've seen raised.

The argument that I've seen (and I've fallen vistim of this because a
purchasing manager once dropped a letter from the end of a RAID card
model) is "can you be sure if a RAID card or a motherboard is replaced
that you'll be able to plug in your disks and boot without a hitch?" I
prefer mdadm, whether this is an issue or not.