Re: Unstable KDE: How to turn off this annoying desktop auto dimming

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:02:45PM +0200, Bruno Voigt wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm running Unstable KDE Desktop with the binary NVidia drivers.
>
> The whole desktop brightness is changing in several visible steps
> everytime I'm e.g. switching from a desktop with a web-browser
> showing a web-site with a dark background
> and e.g. another desktop showing an application with a light background.

Check your monitor controls for something like "Dynamic Contrast" or
"Automatic Dimming". I have a Dell monitor that dims the backlight in
response to the brightness of the image its showing. I've turned that
'feature' off. It's a great marketing gimmick (makes the whites brigher
and the blacks darker) but is otherwise quite annoying.

--
Paul Saunders