Re: Set up headless Bubba Two for Bind9 nameserver

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:43:56 +0000, Csanyi Pal wrote:

(...)

>> So, in bubba you can resolve domains just fine, right?
>
> Yes because right now I don't have setup bind9 yet.

How is that?! You already had it working and now you remove it? :-)

>> Put the results of "dig debian.org" run from one of your LAN clients so
>> we can check.
>
> Right now I'm using nameservers of my ISP, so:

¿?

Your ISP DNS are working okay or so you said yesterday, so no need to
test this again, or am I missing something?

>> Remember that your LAN computers need to use 192.168.10.1 as the
>> default nameserver in "/etc/resolv.conf"
>
> My LAN computers uses resolvconf and network-manager applications to get
> nameservers and setup networking so I must somehow to tell them to use
> 192.168.10.1 as the default nameserver.

Yes... but you first need to setup bind9 again or is it still configured
and running in your Bubba server? Oh, what a mess 8-P

> I think I can tell them this way, on Bubba mcedit /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
> option domain-name-servers 192.168.10.1, 91.102.231.242, 91.102.231.241;
>
> so when one of my LAN computers run dhcp-client it get it automatically
> into it's resolv.conf.

Yep.

> Yes, on my LAN computer I did:
> sudo /etc/init.d/resolvconf restart
> sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
>
> and get in it's /etc/resolv.conf :
> nameserver 192.168.10.1
> nameserver 91.102.231.242
> nameserver 91.102.231.241
> search csanyi-pal.info

That looks good.

> Now I did 'dig debian.org' and get:

(...)

> Does it mean that that my LAN computer uses bind9 that run on my Bubba?
> It seems yes for me, right?

Yes.

> Should I perform further setup for my bind9?

Nope, unless you need anything else. Bind9 comes almost ready to use for
most common usage (external name resolver for your LAN clients/servers),
not many tweaks needed.

Only if you want your bind9 to be capable of resolving local domains
(like "my-local-domain.site") you need to configure it as "master" and
add a primary zone ("my-local-domain.site" A, MX, etc... records).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón