Re: Set up headless Bubba Two for Bind9 nameserver

On 07/07/11 at 05:20pm, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:25:07 -0400 keltezéssel William Hopkins azt írta:
>
> > On 07/06/11 at 08:08pm, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have had setup my Bubba headless PC Box following these steps:
> >> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66329&p=380805#p380805
> >>
> >> Now I'm trying to setup bind9 on my bubba server.
>
> > So what is the issue? Is it working or no? I can't see any error in your
> > email. If no, provide all the lines of output.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear.
>
> Actually I deleted my setup for bind9 so right now bind9 doesn't work on
> my Bubba. I was playing with bind9 during setup of my LAN networking (see
> abowe the hyperlink) but then I don't know how to setup bind9 so I quit
> doing it.
>
> Now I have setup my Bubba for firewall/gateway, and I want to setup bind9
> too that shall run on my Bubba.
>
> I have downloaded BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual and being study
> it.
>
> Bind9 shall serve DNS queries from my LAN behind Bubba and probably from
> the Internet too, because I want run on my Bubba an Apache2 server for my
> website. Actually apache2 already run but only have an index.html that
> says: 'It works!' I shall install drupal6 that is an open source content
> management platform and shall develope my website.
>
> I have a registered FQDN: csanyi-pal.info and being used ddclient for
> update my dynamic IP address that I get from my ISP using dhcp-client on
> my Bubba.
>
> In this circumstances which is the best way to setup my bind9? Should I
> have a Caching-, or an Authoritative Name Server?

Caching and Authoritative don't conflict. You can have one without the other,
or both at the same time. What I think you mean is 'should I do lookups myself
or pass them on to my ISP's DNS servers?'. That is 'recursive' vs 'forwarding'.

I recommend if you're already going to install BIND9 (i.e., you have some
need to host internal or external DNS zones), you go ahead and do the
recursive queries and not forward to your ISP. It is faster, and also more
reliable. If you don't have a need for authoritative, it may be easier for you
to simply configure all your clients to use your ISP's DNS (this is the
default), or setup something lightweight such as dnsmasq or unbound, or
something.

My total recommendation is to learn about BIND and configure it for both to be
authoritative for your local DNS and recursive for all other queries. Only if
you think such a task is beyond you or too much work should you consider the
alternatives.

--
Liam