Re: redundant debian array via mdadm

I have 4 drives.
I would like complete fault tolerance if a drive fails.
Is there a simple tutorial online that can show me how to do this in debian ??
On the first set of drives - I have created 2 raid partitions on each drive - 1 for the root / filesystem (996gb) and the other for swap (4gb) - I have 4gb of ram in the server.

I managed to setup the / and the swap system but i think i am doing something wrong with swap - when i do:

root@rider:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md2 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdc1[0] sdd1[1]
      976759672 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      4104180 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      972654456 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

It keeps showing up as read-only.

Further - I tried to use the 2 other drives as mirroring each other - md2 - but it took a long time to mirror drives.
How can i do this after the system is setup ???
How can I create a filesystem on them???
How do I put MBRs on both drives that have the root filesytem (.).

thanks
mjh

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to build a system that will give me as much tolerance as
> possible.
> I have (4) 1 Terabyte drives.
> I have created 2 mirrored raid drives md0 and md1.
> md0 has the / and boot partition on it.
> and md1 has the data on lvm.
> On /dev/sda I also have my swap partition on it.
> I have tried to test what would happen if i loose my first drive in the root
> partition /.
> I get a blinking cursor - something is preventing  the mirrored drive from
> kicking in and booting.

Have you installed grub the MBRs of sda and sdb?