Re: Wheezy install - grub wont write to MBR with RAID and LVM

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:14:14 -0400, S Scharf wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> 2) The Motherboard has Intel Raid support. If I enable the motherboard
>> Raid, the installer does not see the raid disk. (for that matter neither
>> does my systemrescuecd, but a Ubuntu 11.4 live boot can see it). What do
>> I have to do to make this useable?
>
> I would seriously reconsider that setup unless you really *really* need
> it (that is, unless you have to dual boot with windows + RAID).
>
> Linux software raid (md) is a more safe approach than using the BIOS
> fakeraid facility (dm).

Yeah, by all means, do *not* use onboard RAID controllers!  What if your
board fails and you can't get a replacement that is *guaranteed* to be
compatible?  Nobody is going to sign such a warrant and to reimburse you
for your loss of data.

A few weeks ago, my mainboard failed and I had to replace it with
another model which I was lucky to get quickly.  If I had used the
onboard RAID, I'd /at least/ be screwed for a couple weeks until the
broken board is replaced under warranty.  There's no way I could wait
that long.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the onboard RAID stuff couldn't even
handle the RAID-1 of two disks and the RAID-5 of three disks I have.

--
html messages are obsolete