Re: Iceape's inability to render sites

On 06/27/2011 10:47 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 03:40:19PM -0700, Lotek wrote:
On 06/26/2011 11:48 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
I'm having trouble with Iceweasel's inability to correctly render
sites that use java. This includes my bank and broker which
prevents me
>from making Squeeze my primary distro. Running "locate jre" turns up
a bunch of files including gcj-4.4-jre related ones, so I assume I have
java runtime installed (I'm also *assuming* it's a java problem). I've
also tried, at various times and in various combinations, sun-java6-jre,
sun-java6-plugin, openjdk-6-jre, and icedtea6-plugin, all to no avail.
I'm beginning to wonder if this really is a java problem.
A few months ago I had a similar problem with the Iceweasel
in Lenny, and I think it probably was due to it not being able
to render Javascript correctly.  I have a number of browsers
installed, so I tried Chrome and it worked.  After that I
installed Firefox 4 from the Mozilla site and it worked.

I multiboot and sometimes run Ubuntu w/ FF 3.6.x which works with no
problem.

To test the Java plugin try this site during Pacific coast
daylight hours:

  http://www.hansensurf.com/community/Live-Cams.html

The streams work with the sun-java6-plugin.  I haven't tried
the other plugins.

I haven't upgraded to Squeeze yet, but I don't think it uses
Iceweasel 4, however it might be included in the latest
upgrade.  I doubt if you need the Java plugin, because the
only thing it seems to do is stream some webcams.  I could be
wrong about that, but it wasn't the problem in my case.
If you don't already know, Javascript and Java are different
applications, Javascript is included in Iceweasel and be
turned on or off in Preferences.

I know. It's the same in FF.

I didn't have any problem installing Firefox 4 and it has
already updated itself to version 5.  I can post some brief
instructions if you want to try it.

Downloaded it some time ago but couldn't see how to install it. Too used
to .debs. Instructions and/or urls would be appreciated. I would try it
as a last resort but would prefer to run iceweasel if possible.

When I posted the first response I completely forgot about
Debian Mozilla backports:  http://mozilla.debian.net/

Lenny isn't supported, so I installed Firefox.

  Lotek