Re: Debian safe-upgrade to 6.0.2 - don't run within X session

On 27/06/11 22:27, D G Teed wrote:
> If you run Debian on the desktop, note that the current updates
> coming down the pipe for 6.0.2 with safe-upgrades
> may include an xserver package update (did for me, and
> mine was up to date before).
>
> If you run your safe-upgrade from within an X windows
> session, it will cause X to restart, interrupting the update.
> If this happens, only some of your package updates
> will have completed and some will be incomplete.
> Nothing tragic will happen, you just have to run safe-upgrade
> again outside of X environment (not in xterm, etc.)
>
> I suspect for the same reasons use of Synaptic
> to upgrade will also fail, but I did not verify its
> behavior.
>
> What is a good way to upgrade desktop systems
> for this case, someone might be asking?
>
> If you run desktop, use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get into
> a virtual terminal, login, and do your upgrade from
> in there.� During upgrade to 6.0.2 packages, X will
> restart, shutting down any X applications open
> at the time without warning.� Use Ctrl+Alt+F8
> to return to the X console once again.

I've never had a desktop (KDE) session crash from an upgrade,
dist-upgrades are different.

# apt-get -d upgrade; apt-get upgrade
Is how I always upgrade.

apt apt-listchanges apt-utils base-files comerr-dev dbus dbus-x11
deborphan dpkg dpkg-dev e2fslibs
  e2fsprogs git kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
kdenetwork-filesharing kdoctools klibc-utils
  kopete krb5-multidev libcomerr2 libdbus-1-3 libdbus-1-dev libdpkg-perl
libgssapi-krb5-2 libgssrpc4
  libk5crypto3 libkadm5clnt-mit7 libkadm5srv-mit7 libkdb5-4
libkde3support4 libkdecore5 libkdesu5
  libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkimproxy4
libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4
  libklibc libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff2-4 libknewstuff3-4
libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkopete4
  libkparts4 libkpty4 libkrb5-3 libkrb5-dev libkrb5support0
libkrosscore4 libkrossui4 libktexteditor4
  libkunitconversion4 libkutils4 libldap-2.4-2 libmms0 libnepomuk4
libnepomukquery4a libplasma3
  libqt4-assistant libqt4-dbus libqt4-designer libqt4-gui libqt4-help
libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
  libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-scripttools libqt4-sql
libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-sql-sqlite
  libqt4-svg libqt4-test libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns
libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libruby1.8
  libsmbclient libsolid4 libss2 libthreadweaver4 libtiff4 libtiff4-dev
libtiffxx0c2 libwbclient0
  linux-base linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686 linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
  linux-libc-dev python-apt python-apt-common python-gudev ruby1.8
samba-common samba-common-bin
  xserver-xorg-video-tseng

The xserver package isn't one I use, perhaps that's the difference. I
also normally shut down any critical apps before running updates in a
konsole.

For dist-upgrades I logout, login to a console session as root and
shutdown the x-server before dist-upgrade.

Cheers

--
"I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear
holocaust."