Re: Frequent weezy freezes on amd64 architecture (possibly KDE-related)?

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Marc Ronell <mronell@verizon.net> wrote:

>    Jason> Hello all, I have just completed a fresh installation of
>    Jason> debian wheezy, architecture amd64, with KDE included and
>    Jason> I've been experiencing frequent freezes of the OS. At
>    Jason> seemingly random intervals, all my apps seem to stop, and
>    Jason> the key combinations to kill the X server or reboot the
>    Jason> system don't work either. At first I thought that my Flash
>    Jason> workaround and the fact that it loaded an alternative
>    Jason> memcpy() implementation had something to do with it, so I
>    Jason> loaded my browsers without it, but the freezes persisted
>    Jason> even when I didn''t have any browsers open. I disabled
>    Jason> KDE's file indexing service, but no luck. I even killed all
>    Jason> desktop effects to see if the crash was graphics-hardware
>    Jason> related, but to no avail.
>
>    Jason> Has anybody else been experiencing the same kind of random
>    Jason> freezes on amd64 wheezy with KDE? I would try GNOME, but
>    Jason> currently a couple of package collissions have rendered a
>    Jason> successful GNOME installation unfeasible, so I'm looking
>    Jason> towards a solution that would keep KDE on my system. Any
>    Jason> further information required of me will be happily
>    Jason> provided.
>
>    Jason> Please CC me as I am on a list subscriber.
>
>    Jason> Thanks a million,
>
>    Jason> Jason
>
>    Jason> -- Jason Filippou
>
>    Jason> http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142
>

> Jason,
>
> Do  you have  a RAID  configuration running?   You would  have  had to
> actively setup the  RAID system I think and would  know it existed. If
> you do  have RAID, maybe  the disks are  syncing and that  is stalling
> your system.  Check /proc/mdstat by using
>
> cat /proc/mdstat
>
> --

Dear Marc,

Sorry for the belated response. I do not have a RAID configuration.
Maybe it would help if I mentioned that I recently upgraded my
hardware with a WD Velociraptor hard disk and 4 GB of RAM (KINGSTON
KHX6400D2LLK2/4G HYPERX DDR2 4G). My motherboard is a MSI P965 Neo F,

Also, today I installed a new CPU (the E660 Core 2 DUO Intel CPU) and
it appears that both my new amd64 wheezy (on the new WD Velociraptor
disk) and old i386 wheezy on an older hard disk, which has been fully
operational for the last four years, crash a lot.

I am at a loss as to whether there are any known hardware
incompatibilities between Debian and my newly acquired hardware. I am
willing to provide any more information.

Jason Filippou

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06142