Re: Frequent weezy freezes on amd64 architecture (possibly KDE-related)?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:06:01 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:

> I have just completed a fresh installation of debian wheezy,
> architecture amd64, with KDE included and I've been experiencing
> frequent freezes of the OS. At seemingly random intervals, all my apps
> seem to stop, and the key combinations to kill the X server or reboot
> the system don't work either.

Try to login from a remote computer via ssh and check if that still
works. Maybe is just X what crashed.

> At first I thought that my Flash workaround and the fact that it loaded
> an alternative memcpy() implementation had something to do with it, so
> I loaded my browsers without it, but the freezes persisted even when I
> didn''t have any browsers open. I disabled KDE's file indexing service,
> but no luck. I even killed all desktop effects to see if the crash was
> graphics-hardware related, but to no avail.
>
> Has anybody else been experiencing the same kind of random freezes on
> amd64 wheezy with KDE? I would try GNOME, but currently a couple of
> package collissions have rendered a successful GNOME installation
> unfeasible, so I'm looking towards a solution that would keep KDE on my
> system. Any further information required of me will be happily provided.

System crashes can be hard to debug. They can be software (problematic
VGA or wireless driver) or hardware related (bad ram, micro or a hard
disk error).

Should you had the oppotunity, leave the system with no X server loaded
at all (yes, I'm aware that having a non graphical environment is not
very convenient for most of the users but if the crash tends to manifest
very quickly and your system is still up after -let's say- 30 minutes
then you may have a clue...

Also, look at the logs, just in case there is a kernel "oops" or
something that can help you to find the origin of the crash.

> Please CC me as I am on a list subscriber.

Sorry, I can't. I'm using a newsreader and replying via nntp server ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón