Re: Unread bug reports ?

Hi list,

well, I think, for users it is often not easy to report bugs. When I look at
myself, I am making updates almost every day, and doing so, bugs will be seen
very fast, So, if I report them first, this will cause several things:

1. People are annoyed: OMG, it is Hans again!
2. People can not reproduce it, as they use still theire older system and
think: Hmm, what is his problem? Here it is still working!
3. And not to forget: People are happy of their work. They do not have much
time, they are not paid for it and they do it in their free time (which is
becoming less and less). So IMO it is not motivating, to get many bugreports!

In my personal opinion, bugreports are ok, but it is always a problem, if a
package is causing problems at few users, although developers are always
willing to help (Thank you very much, indeed!!!)

An actual example from the past? I have a problem with ppp since wheezy (now
for almost a year!). It is definately a bug, but no one really cared. The
version from squeeze is running fine. I set this package on hold. What now?
Shall I mourne? No, I found my  workaround.

Another example? Since kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64 I got problem with the module
ohci-hcd (masive annoying messages related to usb, bugreport was sent!)
No one cared, until I sent this bugreport directly to kernel.org. It shall now
fbe ixed in 2.6.39 release 2. So, 2,6.32, 2.6.38, 2.6.39 are not usable for
all people with Nvidia chipset on board. A long, long time! Shall I mourne?
No, I found my workaround by setting 2.6.32 on hold waiting now for months
that the problem will be fixed. And I am sure it will be fixed! And I know, that
they do it priceless. So that is very ok for me.

Some thing for my own: Dear developers, don't be bothered by my bugreports,
these are just for making things better! Thank you!

Best regards

Hans