Re: Samba usershares & permissions problem

On 27/05/11 05:18, William Hopkins wrote:
On 05/26/11 at 05:34pm, Alan Chandler wrote:
I have a fairly simple requirement

I am running Debian Unstable on my Desktop and I want to provide a
folder for my Windows 7 laptop to deposit some files.

I thought that the simplest approach would be using samba on its
own, but I then discovered the existance of nautilus-share which
should make it so much easier when I want to swap around things.
You were initially correct. Running samba alone would be simpler from a troubleshooting perspective.
I suggest you try that, get it working (there are numerous tutorials on the web, forum posts, the archive for debian-user and probably a samba ML) and then compare the config to what nautilus-share is creating.

Also, more people are likely to be familiar with samba itself than nautilus-share.

We I gave up on Nautilus share and just made a bog standard share, specified within smb.conf. That seems to work well and easily meets my needs, so will not pursue this further.

Thanks for the other comments in this thread

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk