Re: Compiz and Workspaces

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 05:19:49PM -0400, Dan wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.

[cut]

> > I works great, but I can not use anymore the workspaces. I can add
> > workspaces and see how many workspaces I have in the gnome switcher. I
> > can also send windows to other workspaces by clicking in the title bar
> > "Move to another workspace". But I can not access the workspaces by
> > doing ctrl+alt+arrow or by clicking in the gnome-switcher. I can
> > access only one workspace.
> >

> Hi,
> I will answer to myself. I used the compiz settings manager and
> checked the option "Desktop wall". That has to be checked to use the
> virtual desktops.
>
> I read in the README.Debian that I should add to xorg.conf:
>
>         Section "Extensions"
>             Option "Composite" "enable"
>         EndSection
>
> and in the Device section
>        Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
>
> but there is no xorg.conf, and compiz is working properly, should I
> create one by doing  X -configure and then modify it?

If Compiz is working for you (and its performance is acceptable, I see
no need to add those stanzas to the xorg.conf. However, your problem may
be down to the fact that Compiz defines different keyboard shortcuts to
what your old window manager did. Dig through the config manager for
compiz and find the "Move to Next/Previous Workspace" entries and assign
Ctrl+Alt+Arrow.

--
Paul Saunders