Re: How to stop a message which requires the Enter key

Ken Heard (ken@heard.name on 2011-05-24 12:13 -0400):

> Arno Schuring wrote:
>
> > I suspect the reason is that you're using encrypted swap partitions,
[..]

> > /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf.d/* and remove (or comment) it.
> In this directory there is one file named "resume" which has only one
> line:
>
> RESUME=/dev/mapper/VG1-swap_crypt
>
> I commented it out.
So far so good...

> > Then regenerate your initramfs (update-initramfs -u)
>
> Running this command generated the following response:
>
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
> cryptsetup: WARNING: target VG1-swap_crypt has a random key, skipped
I did not expect this, so I took a look it my cryptsetup files (they're
from Squeeze, please verify on your system),
and /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/cryptroot contains the following
in get_resume_devices():

if [ -e /etc/uswsusp.conf ]
if [ -e /etc/suspend.conf ]
for opt in $(cat /proc/cmdline);
if [ -e /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume ]

So it looks for resume devices in all the above locations as well as on
the kernel command line. But looking further in the file, it seems that
the warning is generated when determining what /modules/ to include in
the ramfs, not to determine the resume path. So it looks like a red
herring after all.

> Next I changed the resume file to refer to a unencrypted partition not
> part of VG1:
>
> RESUME=/dev/md0/boot
>
> An then ran once more update-initramfs -u, which this time returned
>
> cryptsetup: WARNING: found more than one resume device candidate:
>                      /dev/mapper/VG1-swap_crypt
>                      /dev/md0/boot
> cryptsetup: WARNING: target VG1-swap_crypt has a random key, skipped
After reading the cryptsetup code, this is expected. But the only
effect is that the kernel modules for md0/boot have now been included
in the initramfs (if they weren't already).

> And rebooted once more -- but still have the problem.
But here we can make progress: did the "could not stat" message search
for the VG1-swap device, or for md0/boot? If it searched for md0 then
at least we're looking in the right place, but if it was still looking
for VG1 then the resume device is not set by the initramfs conf file.

> Finally, now that I know the path of the resume file I change the line
> in the file back to the original, ran update-initramfs -u, and
> rebooted.
>
> When the "could not stat" message was received, this time I did what
> was asked: enter the path of the resume
> file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d and hit the "Enter" key.  At that
> point the "could not stat" message was received again; but pushing
> the "Enter" key without any path entered continued the boot as before.
At the time it is asking for the resume device, / is not mounted yet.
Could you check the complete kernel command line (press e in the grub
menu), and remove any resume= arguments if they are present?

HTH,
Arno