Re: How to stop a message which requires the Enter key

Ken Heard (ken@heard.name on 2011-05-23 17:48 -0400):
> Recently I decided that I would like to be able cause the my Intel
> Quad desktop running Lenny to hibernate rather than have to be turned
> off completely while I am not using it for short periods.  To this
> end I installed package hibernate. I then made the mistake of running
> the command hibernate without option or previous configuration.
>
> The result was disaster.  When I pushed the SOL start button it took
> longer than usual to boot.  After booting I found that one of the RAID
> disks and swap had not been activated.  Rebooting got RAID to function
> properly, but now on booting at an early stage the following message
> appears:
> 	resume: Could not stat the resume device file
> ‘/dev/mapper/VG1-swap_crypt’
>
> I am then given the option of entering the full path for that file or
> continuing the boot by pressing the ‘Enter’ key.  Not knowing the
> ‘full path’ – or even if such a path – or ‘resume device file’ – even
> exists I press the ‘Enter’ key.

I suspect the reason is that you're using encrypted swap partitions,
yet the hibernate package automatically assumes the first swap
partition is also the resume partition. Since that partition is not
available at wakeup (it can't be - the encryption key for swap
partitions is autogenerated at every boot), it just sits there waiting.

Please check if you have a line RESUME= in
either /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
or /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf.d/* and remove (or comment) it.
Then regenerate your initramfs (update-initramfs -u) and see if this
solves your problem.

If the above holds true, you might want to file a wishlist bug against
hibernate to not consider encrypted swap partitions as viable resume
partitions.

Regards,
Arno