Re: need help with gnome-keyring-manager

On 20110523_103153, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2011 14:04:39 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > I have installed Squeeze on some different hardware for my desktop
> > computer. On previous install attempts (on other hardware) I have had
> > problems with gnome-keyring-manager interfering with my ability to use
> > ssh. Those problems seem to be recurring on this newer hardware and I am
> > looking for ways to disable gnome-keyring-manager.
>
> (...)
>
> There was a recent thread on this problem:
>
> ssh suddenly prompting for passphrase
>
> Better that removing "gnome-keyring" (I dunno if it is even possible
> because I think is a key component of the whole GNOME stack) try to
> configure it first or disable some elements that are annoying you, like
> the above post (and also README.Debian file) suggests :-)

OK. Mike's email was helpful. But as I learn and try things, a shift in
my goals is happening. Gnome-keyring might actually be useful to me,
if I could just find a plausible explanation of what it does and how
to use it to advantage.

I think that pgp/gpg is already in use on my computer as part of the
whole Debian package repositories thing. The security aspects of
that happen without me having to do anything. It just comes as part
of the Debian offering. OTOH pgp/gpg signing of documents is something
I have never attempted to do because the vocabulary used in the
documentation that I have found is foreign to me and I have been
unable to find time to actually understand it. So, could I use
Gnome-keyring to help me get started in encrypting/signing documents?
Would it really help? Or is it just another layer of obfuscation?
If it would really help, I don't want to get rid of it. Instead I
want to find a useful tutorial on how to use it. Gnome documentation
is pretty much useless to me when used by itself. It never defines
the words it uses, even in contexts where it is glaringly obvious
that the standard dictionary meaning cannot be what is intended.

(An example of my ignorance: what is a software 'keyring'? Of course,
it has something to do with security, but what? Is it an agent? or
a database? or a repository? or what?)

Comments?
--
Paul E Condon