Re: Does "apt-get dist-upgrade" upgrade the kernel?

On 08/05/11 18:13, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2011 19:49:06 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Du, 08 mai 11, 09:55:10, Camaleón wrote:

Curious is that, as I said before, it was installed it:

dpkg test@debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image ii
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686      2.6.32-31                         Linux
2.6.32 for modern PCs

But the updated kernel was not showing to me as "available" until I
manually pulled the meta-package ;-(

I don't understand what you mean here, could you please rephrase a bit?

Sure. I mean I already had the "linux-image-2.6.32-5-686" package
installed but "apt-get dist-upgrade" did not offer the latest version
available ("linux-image-2.6.38-2-686") so I had to manually install it.

I think this is mostly because the different kernel versions are completely different packages, rather than a new version of the same package. This prevents your kernel getting upgraded if you don't wish it to. If you do wish to receive new kernels, then you install one of the meta-packages.

I had noticed that expert install (which I normally use) gives the option of a specific kernel, or the meta-package, but never gave that much thought before. I frequently change the kernel after installation, or compile a custom one for specific machines.

--
Dom