Re: Does "apt-get dist-upgrade" upgrade the kernel?

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:21:07 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sb, 07 mai 11, 16:18:53, Camaleón wrote:

>> I'm running wheezy and it's since weeks that I started wondering when a
>> new kernel will come to testing :-)
>>
>> root@debian:~# cat /etc/issue
>> Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid \n \l
>>
>> test@debian:~$ uname -r
>> 2.6.32-5-686
>>
>> Now (by purely chance) I realized that there is indeed a new kernel
>> available in the repositories so that this means it was me making some
>> kind of mistake.
>
> You need either the package linux-image-<flavour> or
> linux-image-2.6-<flavour> and a new kernel will be installed as soon as
> the Kernel Team updates the dependencies of these packages.

Do I need "either" or do I need "both"? :-)

Curious is that, as I said before, it was installed it:

dpkg test@debian:~$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-2.6.32-5-686      2.6.32-31                         Linux 2.6.32 for modern PCs

But the updated kernel was not showing to me as "available" until I manually
pulled the meta-package ;-(

> Whether one of these packages is installed by default depends on how you
> installed that particular machine (example: it might not be installed in
> expert mode since AFAIR you get a specific question about which kernel
> package to install).

I always use the expert installer so that can be the reason I didn't have
the meta-package installed by default.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón