Re: Problem with Samba on Squeeze [SOLVED]

I eventually solved this as follows.

1. Uninstall samba completely including configs: the following packages:
samba
samba-doc
samba-common
samba-common-bin
libwbclient0
swat
smbclient
libsmbclient
webmin
and their dependencies.

2. Check samba directories /var/lib/samba and /etc/samba don't exist any more.
3. Reboot
4. Install packages:
samba
samba-common
samba-common-bin
libwbclient0
smbclient

5. List users with pdbedit. (the installation, trying to be smart, had added 4
users).
Tried:
smbclient -L lyra
and responding with my password, still didn't work, but produced an error
message instead of timing out.
I googled for it and found somebody else had had the same problem and fixed it
by
deleting the users which installation had added with pdbedit, and re-creating
them with smbpasswd -a.

6. Delete the users found in step 5 with pdbedit, and add the users needed with
smbpasswd.

Then everything works.
This is an old installation of Samba, going back to lenny, and I conclude that
the upgrades didn't do exactly

what they should have. The clean install should not be different from an
upgraded install but it clearly was.

Thanks to Camaleón for helping with this.