Re: Need help setting up a home LAN

On Lu, 02 mai 11, 00:29:24, Paul E Condon wrote:
> A few days ago, my old consumer grade router died, or seemed to die
> such that I decided to purchase a new consumer grade router. What I
> remembered about how the old router was set up was insufficient to get
> me back up and running with the new router and the old LAN
> configuration. I think my problem has to do with DHCP. I didn't use
> DHCP in the old set up.  Instead I had statically defined IP addresses
> in /etc/hosts. I can see good reasons for DHCP, but I have never
> understood how I could get my four Debian hosts to talk to each other
> under DHCP. I see some things that can be configured to have DHCP
> assign fixed IPs to certain devices based on their MAC address, but is
> that what needs to be done? What I'm looking for is the ordinary and
> accepted way to make an ssh connection from one of my boxes to another
> one of my boxes where DHCP is happening.

I prefere setting up "static" DHCP, if at all possible[1]. If you are
lucky the router can also do local DNS and you are done.

[1] I lost that feature on the last firmware upgrade on my VDSL modem

> Also I used rsync to keep backups of files on two different boxes, and
> approx to maintain a local Debian repository. The way I have done this
> in the past is dependent on local search.

I don't understand what you mean here. Anyway, for a SOHO lan here are a
few ideas

1. assign static IPs (either via the DHCP server or each host's config)

+ robust
+ if set up via the router it's not difficult to maintain
- accessing by IP is not "nice" and editing each host's /etc/hosts file
  is a pain

2. local DNS server. If you're lucky the consumer router can do that,
then it doesn't matter if hosts are on DHCP or not. If your router runs
Debian or some Linux dnsmasq is excelent for this purpose and easy to
setup.

+ convenient
- setup is router dependent

3. mDNS. No, don't throw holly water, it really works... I think :p
Just install libnss-mdns on all hosts (which will also pull
avahi-daemon). If you didn't change /etc/nsswitch.conf this will
automatically allow you to access the host via host-name.local,
irrespective of DHCP or static IP

+ very convenient and easy to setup, no fiddling with config files
+ independent of any central config (useful if you have a flaky router)
- still needs some way of assigning IPs, unless your router supports
  zeroconf and you also install avahi-autoipd
- depends on hidden-magic type software

Regards,
Andrei