Re: On-going problems with flashplugin for IW

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:00:20 +0000
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 15/03/11 20:05, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > On 2011-03-15, AG<computing.account@googlemail.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all
> >>
> >> In Iceape and other browsers (e.g. Opera) I can watch embedded
> >> (streaming?) videos on-line.  In Iceweasel/ Swiftfox I cannot.
> >> Insterad I get a variation on this message: "Note: Either you do
> >> not have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer or your
> >> Flash Version is outdated. You need Flash Player in order to view
> >> this item. Download Flash Player
> >> now.<http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer>"
> >>
> >> I have double-checked and I have the latest flashplugin-nonfree
> >> installed and seems to be accessible to the other browsers, so why
> >> doesn't IW "see" the plugin and use it as well?  In my
> >> ~.mozilla/plugins/ directory the library libflashplayer.so is
> >> installed
> > That may well be the problem. Installing flashplugin-nonfree makes
> > the plug-in available system-wide; having libflashplayer.so in
> > ~/.mozilla/plugins/ means that you also have a personal copy.
> >

> >> and executable and as far as I can tell, the plugins are
> >> registered with IW as seen by doing about:plugins in the address
> >> bar.
> > Try removing your personal copy (or just start with a new
> > ~/.mozilla to experiment).
> >

> Hi Liam
>
> I changed the name of the local libflashplayer.so and fired up IW
> again
> - still the same issue though.
>
> So I mv'd the entire ~/.mozilla directory and ran IW again, losing
> extensions, etc., in the process.  There is now no plugins directory
> under ~/.mozilla and after inspecting /usr/lib/iceweasel and
> /usr/lib/mozilla both have flashplugin-alternative.so installed.
>
> According to about:plugins shockwave flash version 10.1r102
> (libflashplayer.so) is installed and enabled.
>
> However, still the same error message.  Any further ideas?

My version of the flashplugin is 10.3 d162.

Try running "update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" and see if you get a
newer version. That command did nothing on my box but maybe that is
because I have the newest version. Let us know.