re: dd or cp over network: should I use scp?

> I need to dd or cp my laptop's harddrive over the LAN.

Don't use dd if its a mounted file system.

scp will work, but you have to be careful about thing like symlinks
which scp WILL FOLLOW, and which can increase disk space use.

> scp -r / root@178.63.65.136:/

Two reasons this won't work.

1) most of the time, "root" login through ssh is blocked.

2) copying to "/" will overwrite the existing, running, system.

Much better, if you have the disk space on the receiving machine, is
to make a directory under your normal user,
like "/home/dotan/Laptop", and do something like this, AS ROOT:

# scp -r / dotan@178.63.65.136:Laptop

and then the entire laptop file system will be available to recover at
will.

But in general, it's necessary to back up only /etc and /home. These
are where settings and user data are stored, and rebuilding the whole
system it can be better to build the "system" anew, then just recover
the user data and any needed custom settings from /etc.

> What is the canonical way of doing this?

Canonical runs Ubuntu, you need to ask that question in the Ubuntu
forums. This is the Debian user list, and while Ubuntu gets their
software packages mostly from Debian, they have their own issues with
versions and custom packages.

But this is a more generic kind of question, so don't worry about
that.

> Thanks!

You're very welcome, and I hope your problems work out successfully.

Curt-

- --
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end,
for they do so with the approval of their consciences.