Re: Recommendation for buy Hardware

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Alfonso Ruiz wrote:
> >> The ST2000DL003 is 4096 bytes per sector, can this have problems with
> >> squeeze?
> >
> > Squeeze tries to align everything to 1MB boundaries, so it shouldn't cause
> > problems.
>
> Do you refer to the installer only, or does that apply to the usual
> tools (parted/cfdisk, LVM, cryptseup) as well?

The installer, but get RC2 or newer.  And up-to-date squeeze.

fdisk will do the right thing, IF you press "u" and "c" first, to switch
off the dos-brain-hemorrage default mode, and change to sectors.
Alternatively, run it with fdisk -c -u.

parted will do the right thing AFAIK, at least on DOS disklabels.

cfdisk, I don't know.  Switch to sector mode, and see whether it wants
to create partitions at multiples of 2048 (i.e. 1MB) or not.

cryptsetup does a 1:1 linear map, so it doesn't change alignment.

I just checked mdadm source, and it aligns nicely on all metadata
formats when creating a new array.  It uses 1MB alignment when needed
(formats 1.1 and 1.2).  So, I stand corrected (I previously claimed
mdadm would screw up the alignment on formats 1.1 and 1.2).

lvm, well... it is actually pvcreate that is a problem.  I am not sure
it autodetects anything, you probably have to give it the proper
--dataalignment option, but at least now it has that easy-to-use option
and you don't have to play games with metadatasize.

And nothing does anything sensible as far as alignment goes on GPT
labels, last time I checked.

  Henrique Holschuh