Re: Recommendation for buy Hardware

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Alfonso Ruiz wrote:
> The ST2000DL003 is 4096 bytes per sector, can this have problems with
> squeeze?

Squeeze tries to align everything to 1MB boundaries, so it shouldn't cause
problems.  OTOH, I doubt anyone tested it with 4096/4096 disks, so make sure
the HD is just 512/4096 (i.e. not native 4096).  I don't think anyone is
selling native 4096-sector disks yet, just ones that emulate 512-byte
sectors on top of the hardware 4096 sectors, so you should be fine.

But if you hated the green drive from WD, why do you think a 5900rpm drive
with a "green" label from any other manufacturer won't be just as bad?  Get
a proper HD without any 'green' labels and with 7200-10000rpm if you want
better performance.  Trying to access 2TB with a slow HD must be really
painful.

BTW: when installing to 512/4096 disks (4k sector hardware, but emulated 512
byte sectors in the interface), don't use md raid modes 1.1 or 1.2 without
checking that md didn't destroy the alignment.  Modes 0.9 and 1.0 are safe.

> The ST32000641AS is sata3, but will be connected to an sata2 motherboard,
> so, can have any problem for this in Squeeze?

This is not a safe assumption, you might have problems.  It is supposed to
work, but that kind of assumption dies fast when faced with hardware bugs in
the SATA controllers and/or HDs.

  Henrique Holschuh