Re: java 5 in squeeze

In <[🔎] 20110124131514.16ce33fe@gauss>, Joe Riel wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:08:06 -0600
>
>"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> I recommend not changing back your sources.list and actually adding
>> the security repository for Lenny as well.
>
>I may have misinterpreted this.  Are you saying to change it to lenny
>and not change it back after updating and installing java 5?  Or are
>you saying not to change it to lenny in the first place [and do
>something else to obtain the files]?

sun-java5-jre isn't in Squeeze, so you have to get it from Lenny.  So, I'd
list Lenny's main, contrib, and non-free parts in a sources.list.

If you *also* want packages from Squeeze then *also* list Squeeze in your
sources.list.

For good security support, you'll also want the security repositories for
both.

Now you have a mixed system.  Packages that can be satisfied from Squeeze will
be satisfied from Squeeze.  Packages that are not in Squeeze or where the
version in Squeeze is "too new" will get pulled from Lenny.

YMMV; there's little to no support for aggressively mixed systems but if you
need packages from two different versions of Debian, I think it is a lot
better way to go than installing individual packages with dpkg, or otherwise
not tracking for new versions of the packages you have installed.

It may be better to just use Lenny for now and start working on a migration
away from sun-java5-jre on to sun-java6-jre before security support runs out
for Lenny (~2012-02-01).