Re: putting "/tmp" to memory help

Isn't messing with volatile /tmp somewhat a moot point, given that the
Linux memory manager manages virtual memory anyway? I mean, if /tmp is
heavily used by your system, it will be cached in memory anyway. With 4
GB of RAM (as mentioned by kellyremo), you'll end with probably your
entire payload (and not just your /tmp) running from RAM. So what's to
be gained with a /tmp in RAM, really? In addition, there is a
possibility that dedicating 2 GB of RAM to /tmp, you could end up
forcing your system to start swapping out. Which would instantly defeat
any speed improvement(s) you might have gained. Linux memory management
is quite competent all-round IMHO, and it would take an extremely
specific/border/particular user case to warrant moving /tmp to a RAM
disk.

Any opinions?
--
Cheerio,

Klistvud

-------

I've thought about this on the premise that if I put the 16GB of RAM my month board can support in than I would have plenty of system memory to run the entire OS from RAM, even while using VM's

But I only know about such things from theory...

TeddyB