Re: Let's talk about HTTPS Everywhere

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:53:47 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:23:06 -0500, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:00:12 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> And WPA2 with AES encryption is considerably slow. There are also
> >> drawbacks when you enforce to use of the best encryption method.
> >
> > It is?  Do you have either documentation, or personal experience, to
> > back this up, and to quantify the performance hit?  I've never noticed
> > one, but I've not actually benchmarked.
>
> Personal experience with wpa2... while I don't discard it was a specific
> problem/incompatibility with the wireless card chipset in use and the AP,
> heck, should you add a security layer you are adding more traffic (data)
> that need to be proccessed (encoded/decoded) by both, the host AP and
> client.

I understand that you're technically adding traffic and processor
overhead; the question is how much?  Given the (relatively low) amounts
of data going over WiFi, and the capabilities of modern hardware, I'm
not at all sure that the overhead is really all that noticeable.

> Besides, if you experience additional problems with coberture (long
> distance between the AP and the client) or interferences (saturated
> channel spectrum) then the "recipe" for a slow connection is served :-)

But these will be problems even without encryption - how much worse
will they really get with it?

Celejar