Re: need motherboard recommendation

* shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> [101226 12:28]:

> I don't think that brand or manufacturing process are the issue here
> unless you bought cheap asus boards

Cheap boards generally do not have solid capacitors exclusively.

> > purchased -- Asus M3A78-T (AMD64) and Asus P5Q-EM (i386)

> So, assuming a decent board (it doesn't sound like you have a problem
> spending $200+ usd if you're replacing it because video is starting to fail
> vs just putting another video card in)

How can you trust a board (still in warranty) which has video
problems, even if you use an external video card?

> then, I wonder about outside factors.  First, have you had the
> machines plugged into a ups?

UPS and surge arrestor.

> Did you check your RAM before trashing the boards (and probably in
> another computer that doesn't use shared RAM for graphics as I don't
> know how memtest86 handles that)?

Recall that the M3A78-T made three RMA trips to Asus.  If the RAM is
defective, Asus should have detected it.

> Are you in a real humid or dry setting? Is it real hot all the time?

Tropical mosquito swamp.  Summer is hot and humid.  Winter is cool and
humid.  There are two nice days a year; one is called "spring" and the
other is called "autumn".

> As for your issue with electrolytic caps (let me see if I can remember my
> electronics here). They are more suited for higher voltages and can hold a
> charge longer than the solid state variants. Personally, I like them better
> because when they blow, its visually noticeable (mushroom head or
> electrolyte all over the place).

I am a graduate engineer with electronic expertise; you obviously do not
understand electrolytic capacitors.

Electrolytics are low-voltage capacitors; they tend to be leaky; they
lose capacity with age; the aging process is accelerated by heat; they
are subject to internal shorting.  Even the best of electrolytics have
a rated operating life of about five years.  The heat generated by an
internal short causes internal pressure to rise and may cause the case
to burst.  Electrolyte from a burst capacitor can ruin a motherboard.
Electrolytic capacitors are widely used because they provide high
capacity in a small volume at a relatively low price.

Ten years or so ago, electrolytic failures gave every motherboard
manufacturer much grief, because after only a three to six months of
service, many of the electrolytics had decreased in capacitance to the
point that the associated circuitry quit working.  This problem was
front-page news for months in professional electronic design journals.
It is this problem which has lead to the use of so-called "solid
capacitors" (there is no such thing as a "solid-STATE" capacitor) on
motherboards, despite the higher cost.

> Lastly, I've got stereo cross over circuits with those caps that
> have been used for 10+ years.

And as the electrolytics decrease in capacity, the crossover
frequencies change.  But the human ear becomes accustomed to slow
changes.  A frequency response curve made with a calibrated microphone
likely would surprise you.

> Point of all of this is, in most environments, I wouldn't really
> dwell on the caps one way or the other. Buy what works, treat it
> well and, in five years or so, you'll end up throwing away an old
> motherboard with perfectly good caps.

Not so.  In five years, the typical electrolytic has only a small
fraction of its nominal capacity, so that parameters (such as ripple
and time constants) of the circuit of which the capacitor is a part
are outside of specification.  There may be as many as a hundred
capacitors on a motherboard; many of the function as essential
elements of the power supply circuit.

> As for specific board recommendations, I can't really give you any as I
> don't work that way. I either get whatever cheap dell I can get gold support
> on and then replace it or I get proliant servers. If this is truly a desktop
> system for you and nothing more, you might opt for the dell with gold
> support (crap hardware with insurance :) ).

Obviously reliability means nothing to you.  You really should not
speak concerning things of which you are ignorant and about which you
are indifferent.  All in all, you and a Dell appear to be made for one
another.

RLH