Re: SD card question

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 06:16:25 +0200, Zoran Kolic wrote:

>> Did they provide any instructions on how to proceed with the upgrade?
>
> Kobo hides SD card upgrade, just as snake hides it's legs.

Ouch!

I hate those companies being fuzzy on what (and how) can you do with
their products. If it can be done, just explain "how" and keep your
customers happy :-). If you don't allow apply something, tell your
customers about your policy are they will go away and buy another product
>:-). But being "terse" and "ambiguous" keep users in a kind of limbo
which is worse :-(.

>> As root, "fdisk -l /dev/sdx" ("sdx" ??? adjust it to point the SD
>> device) and check what it says.
>
> Since the card is new, it is labeled as fat. No surprise here. Taking it
> out of plastic cover, I mkfs.ext3 it. No more, no less.

"fdisk -l" just tell more information about the partition table of the
device. In the event there is none, you will get some warning.

>> "fdisk" is for creating partitions and I suppose there must be already
>> one created for the SD card, if not, you had experiencing problems for
>> mounting (and accesisng) to its contents which doesn't seem to be the
>> case.
>
> Seems to be pretty happy card so far. You wonder why I have no more data
> on the subject. My reader is on the way, I have no hands on it yet. The
> firmware on it is old and manufacturer has better one, version 1.4. I
> will reflash as soon as I can.

Ah, okay then. I thought you already were performing the firmware upgrade
and failed at some point. In that case, I don't think you're going to
have any problem with the above steps but report back if something goes
wrong.

>> Yes, but I was referring when you click any button/option to proceed
>> with the "upgrade". Did you get any error? What steps did you follow
>> (you inserted the SD card with the required files on it, and then...
>> what happened)?
>
> Sd card should be inserted first. Middle button on the pad has to be
> pressed and the reader powered up. It takes some time, without human
> interference. Nothing more. Upgrade via usb adapter often fails, but I
> cannot say what errors are. SD card upgrade never failed, or it was not
> reported back. The very reason I wanna do that this way. K, when I get
> the reader, will try to use card I made. If it has something to
> complain, gonna make the same card with fdisk first.
> Thanx all.

It looks quite easy. Just tell us how it goes :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón