Re: CUPS upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze breaks encryption - HELP

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:22:31 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 06:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:46:40 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, all.  We are in quite a pickle tonight - our CUPS printing is
> > > complete broken after an upgrade.  The cups error_log is filled with
> > > "Bad request line "VCB" from 172.x.x.1!'  Printers do not appear in
> > > Gnome or OpenOffice and, even though they appear in KDE, they are
> > > unavailable.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > I remember a similar thread:
> >
> > ***
> > Help - CUPS printing stopped working
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/07/msg00844.html
> > ***
> >
> > So maybe you are hitting this bug?
> >
> > ***
> > cups: https interface has SSL error ("SSL received a record that exceeded
> > the maximum permissible length")
> >
> Yes, that looks like it and there does not appear to be a patch or
> workaround yet :(

Both the older thread and the bug report show that an SSL error is
encountered when an SSL connection to the CUPS web interface is
attempted on the standard, unencrypted CUPS port (631). As far as I
know, that is the normal behavior with 1.4.4. #590610 looks like
misunderstanding or a user configuration error to me. Your problem might
very well be a different issue.

In your case, I would:

- Use netstat on the cups server to check on which port it listens for
  the SSL connections.

- Verify that the CUPS web interface works for an https connection to
  that port (not necessarily 631), first from the server itself and then
  from the client.

- Try to specify the SSL port explicitly in all server URLs configured
  on the client.

- If that does not help, use tcpdump or strace -enetwork to see exactly
  which connections on which ports the client is attempting when it
  tries to print a document.

Note: I do not use encrypted CUPS connections myself, so the above
advice involves some guesswork. I don't know on which port(s) CUPS
printing (as opposed to the CUPS web interface) negotiates encrypted
connections. Maybe some changes of the procedure were introduced in the
newer CUPS version, so I would also have a look at the changelog with
that in mind.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |