CUPS upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze breaks encryption - HELP

Hello, all.  We are in quite a pickle tonight - our CUPS printing is
complete broken after an upgrade.  The cups error_log is filled with
"Bad request line "VCB" from 172.x.x.1!'  Printers do not appear in
Gnome or OpenOffice and, even though they appear in KDE, they are
unavailable.

All clients are set to Encryption Always in /etc/cups/client.conf.  If
we comment out that line, all works.  The server side certs and keys are
present and valid and set to default names in /etc/cups/ssl.

We were noticing persistent but non-fatal errors about "SSL shutdown
failed: Error in the push function."  So we decided to do a simple
apt-get upgrade on the CUPS server.  This upgraded libcups2.  For
obscure reasons, we were running libcups2 from Squeeze but cups from
Lenny.  This upgrade broke cups.  CUPS could not start and failed with a
missing library call.  Thus, we upgraded cups to Squeeze.  That's when
we hit this problem.

What happened and how do we fix it before morning? Thanks - John