Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:29:00 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 09:44:58PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> And how do you interpret that? Do you see any line about the freeze and
>> hibernation? As per your own subject on this thread, I'd say "yes".
>
> My interpretation is that it doesn't work reliably. As said, there
> aren't any entries in logfiles.

So... when something goes wrong, you need to debug it, whatever it is
(hibernation or something else). And debugging usually requires some
"sacrifices" >:-) (meaning, trial and error tests).

>> But you *need* to play around this if you want to have a stable and
>> secure hibernation. Sure, it's risky, but you have to balance what are
>> your goals in setting up this to play correctly or just doing nothing
>> and do not hibernate.
>
> Hibernating isn't worth taking a risk.

Ah, that is a personal choice (not the one I would choose, BTW).

But by following a "do-nothing" path you are losing some nice features
that hibernation provides and the worst here is that the problem your are
facing most sure could be easily bypassed by following a little steps and
requesting further info. BTS (Debian bug tracking system) is your
friend :-).

>> There is _no dealer_ here. There is _no guarantee_. You did not buy a
>> computer that was certified by the manufacturer to work and play nice
>> with yor OS and power savings, didn't you?
>
> There's the dealers selling the hardware and warranty on the hardware.

No, sir. You maybe meesed Windows with Debian ;-)

Regarding "Energy System" compliant computers you are stuck at what
manufacturers are giving you, that is, a computer tested and certified to
be able to hibernate and play nice with power saving *under* Windows
system (did you note that "Designed for Windows" stick present in almost
any notebook out there?).

The sad fact is that unless your computer was "designed for Debian" you
have no guarantees at all on this matter :-(

> Do you expect to behave a car as described above just because you buy it
> as is? Do you buy cars certified by the manufacturer to work reliably
> and to play nice with your specific using conditions?

Sure, and if not, I will make some debug on the car ;-)

But for doing this, I will have to drive the car to one of the repair
shops that the manufacturer has to make some review.

The guarantee I signed when I bought the car does not allow me to change
a thing nor replace any piece (mechanical or electronics) with another
ones by my own (at least here in Spain by doing this you will lost the
guarantee).

> How do you deal with the plastic covers over the headlights many/most
> cars have nowadays that go blind after a few years? It's obviously a
> poor choice of materials made by the manufacturer, thus their fault, and
> they should of course be replaced with no cost to you during the
> lifetime of the car every time they are blind again ...

Yes, but "car != computer" :-)

I wish I had the same flexibility with a car than I currently have with
my computer systems... A car is a "turn-key" piece of hardware: as long
as you make any change you void the guarantee.

>> What "required tools" are you referring to?
>
> the tools needed for graphics cards

There no such tools. What you usually have to do when the graphics card
driver (or any other driver) has problems to resume from hibernating is
creating a hook to load/unload the required driver, that should be all.

For instance, it's quite normal to lose the network connection after
resuming, so a hook for restarting networkmanager is sometimes required.

>> Then read all the docs, manuals and FAQs. But then you'll have to put
>> all your knowledge into real things ;-)
>
> They aren't really telling you, that's the problem ...

You need to read more >>:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón