Re: How do I recover from modprobe mistakes?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:42:28 -0400 (EDT), "post id" <postid@att.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 6/28/10, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Did you try rebooting? ;)
>> Explanation: modules loaded only "by hand" with modprobe
>> will not
>> persist after a reboot.
>
> That's a relief. It reminds me once again that Linux is safe enough
> for idiots like me. So to permanently insert a module, I'd use insmod, right?

First of all, how about giving us your real name?

Second, the answer to your question is "no".  insmod is an older
way of loading a module.  modprobe is the newer and preferred way.
But both are temporary.  There are basically three ways that a module
can be loaded "permanently".  (1) It can be loaded by udev as the
result of an identification string for a piece of hardware matching
either an internal or an external alias for the module.  This is the
"device driver" method.  (2) It can be loaded as an "essential driver"
by including its name in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and re-building
the initial RAM file system with "update-initramfs -u".  These modules
are loaded prior to the initial read-only mounting of the permanent
root file system.  (3) They can be loaded by including the module
name in /etc/modules.  These modules are loaded after the permanent
root file system has been mounted read-write.

> Thanks. Now I can go back to panicing over a potentially damaged eeprom.

Happy panicking!

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :