Re: Understanding my recurrent network connectivity problems

lee wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:11:11AM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> To figure this out, it's a good idea to simplify things first:
>

> * use static IPs on all the computers connected to the LAN and turn
> off the DHCP server in the router if possible
>
> * connect the switch to the router as the only device connected to the
> router and plug all the computers into the switch instead

Already done.
> After these steps, see if the problem persists. If it persists:
>

> * unplug the router, plug your computer directly into the modem, set
> up your computer for making the connection to your ISP

Everything works great, if so.
> * plug the switch into a second network card in your computer, the
> other computers connected to the switch

Eh, I don't have a second NC.
> * set up a firewall on your computer, using, for example, shorewall,
> and configure it so that your computer basically replaces the router
>
> * set up a name server on your computer to operate as a name server
> for all the computers on your LAN
>

> See if the problem persists. If it does, replace the modem. Installing
> squid on your computer and configuring shorewall so that your computer
> acts as a transparent proxy for all the computers on your LAN is a
> good idea. You might want to go further and set up your computer to
> provide email services to the computers on your LAN. Setups with
> dyndns --- if you can't get a static IP --- work reasonably well to
> receive your email directly. That frees you a great deal from the
> usually ridiculous limits email service providers impose on their
> users and greatly speeds up and easyfies things for the users on the
> LAN.
>
> DHCP with these routers usually sucks, as well as the nameservers
> built into them do
Thanks. Today, everything worked perfectly. If it lags at one moment,
I'll try other stuff. Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Many receive advice; only the wise profit from it.