Trouble with Debian unstable sound

I've been running Debian unstable for a while, and I can't figure out how I am supposed to configure sound applications. For a long time, I had things configured for Alsa, but it seems now that GNOME is starting Pulseaudio which locks that sound device. Other programs seem to want jack. It seems that nothing is working now (e.g., xmms, vlc). Can someone explain how it's all suppose to work together, so my sound applications will work again?

I've got pulseaudio and jackd running.

Thanks,

Tom
P.S. Please Cc me no replies.