Re: e2fsck: HOWTO tutorial

Augustin:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2010 15:26:12 Ron Johnson wrote:
>> The *drive*?  No.  e2fsck checks the filesystem data structures
>>  that have been written onto the drive.
>
> Yes, sorry. I did mean the partition, not the drive.

No, you didn't mean the partition, you meant the filesystem. ;-) The
usage of these terms is usually very lax, but after you realize that you
can create filesystems not only on partitions, but in other files, raw
storage devices (/dev/sdX) or logical volumes, the terms become quite
distinctive.

> No, it's unmounted. I'm checking an external device.
> As to checking mounted devices, the man page is very confusing:
> See: http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/112

I don't agree. It says:

- Don't fsck mounted filesystems.
- When run with -n, the fsck is read-only.
- Don't run fsck -n on mounted filesystems.

Maybe the paragraphs could be restructured a little, but I think all
these points come acrosse quite clearly.

BTW, what's the purpose of that site? Why are these bugs not reported
upstream? It looks like you are the sole user of that site.

> Is there a way to run e2fsck in a strictly non-desctructive,
> informative mode only?

From the manpage:

 -n   Open the filesystem read-only, and assume an answer of  `no'  to
      all  questions.   Allows e2fsck to be used non-interactively.
      This option may not be specified at the same time as the -p or
      -y options.

What's unclear about it?

J.
--