e2fsck: HOWTO tutorial

Hello,

I must learn to use e2fsck as I am having some I/O problems on some of
my external drives.
I checked all the existing documentation everywhere I could think of
(including the Debian official documentation and existing HOWTOs from
TLDP), but couldn't find anything that is detailed and explicit enough
for my taste.

I am left with some questions that I hope some of you will be able to
answer.

1st, is there a way to run e2fsck in a strictly non-destructive but
informative way, to check the health of a drive?
(question asked here: http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/112 ).

2nd, to the dreaded question:

# e2fsck -vfFC0 /dev/sdc1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
Error reading block 34308186 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.  Ignore
error?

What are the consequences of answering either way?
As far as I can tell: answering yes will delete the inode, i.e. data
will be lost. Answering no will leave the bad block in place and the
problem will remain.

I have more questions on the topic but this should be a start.

All your answers will be used to compile hopefully the best available
tutorial on this important topic for a Linux system administrator.
This is barely more than a stub:
http://linux.overshoot.tv/wiki/hardware/e2fsck_file_system_check

Thanks for your help,

Augustin.