Re: [OT] First computer (was Re: LVM)

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 09:03:52AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:

> >>Youngster.  I had a KayPro II.  With, originally, TurboPascal 1.0!
> >
> >Mmm, http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html so around 1982?
> >
> >Commodore PET. 1977 :)
> >

> What was that thing that was only a keyboard that had the cpu and
> memory built into it? You connected a tape player for the I/O and a
> TV for the display. I used it to play chess on and to do astrology
> programs. It took hours to get that thing to read in a tape without
> errors. It was around 1977 I think.

there were a couple of machines that worked that way, but I'm guessing
you're thinking of the Commodore Vic-20 and 64 (and later the 128, but
floppies were becoming common then). I think some of the others like
the Tandy's or the Sinclair used a tape drive and tv rig. Maybe the
Ataris as well, but I don't recall and I'm too lazy to look...

I still miss my C-64. The tape drive was awful(ly slow), but
worked. The Commodore floppy drives were pretty awful too, but I was
lucky to get a third party floppy and (Emerald Components
International, ordered it with a money order, took forever to arrive)
it was pretty slick. I also remember the upgrade from 300 to 1200
baud... I couldn't out type the modem quite so easily after that.

I think your dates are a little early though. The C-64, 64K, 1MHz MOS
6510, came out in 1982, the vic-20, 5K, 1MHz MOS 6502, in 1980